Sunday, May 7, 2017

The Evolution of My Health Habits

Little Kristina

Over the past two years, I've been slowly changing my diet. My diet over my whole life has changed quite a few times. I enjoy experimenting, and I strongly believe in the phrase "Don't knock until you try it." Having been raised in a Ukrainian household, I often ate meat, potatoes, noodles, etc. When my parents divorced, my mom and I started a diet of salmon sashimi, caprese salad, and protein smoothies. We both lost quite a few pounds. Since the divorce, my mom's and my daily eating habits changed for the better since my dad wasn't around to ask for the sausages and potatoes. My weight was never really a struggle for me- I always had a healthy body since I often played sports and ate healthy at home. I guess the fast metabolism at a young age helped quite a bit as well!

Freshman 15

Well, before I say anything else, I'll just say that the "Freshman 15" is a real thing. So, BEWARE! I honestly can't believe I'm writing this, but during my first 4 months at university, I only went to the gym one time. ONE TIME. Can you believe it? I had gained so much weight that I barely recognize myself in the pictures. My face looks swollen and unhealthy in the photos.

Depression

My weight gain wasn't only due lack of exercise; it was a combination of a few things. I had depression (I realized this about 7 months later), ate unhealthy, and did not exercise. If you don't exercise, you're mood becomes worse, and you form unhealthy eating habits. It's a vicious cycle. So, if you would like to know if you may or may not have depression, please follow this link below:

Mental Health America: Depression Screening

Depression is a serious thing, and it can creep up on you in disguise. I'll save the depression talk for another post though.

Happy Hormones

I finally started losing weight, and I reached a healthy weight a few months after going to therapy for my depression.

Fact: Aerobic activity has shown to be an effective treatment for many forms of depression.

For me, exercise has been the best stress reliever and mood booster. It boosts endorphin and serotonin levels and improves body image. I sometimes stop going to the gym for weeks, and I feel awful. I'm doing my best to stay committed, and I'm glad that I've recognized that I have a tendency to get really into something and then forget about it.

Fishies and Veggies

As for my diet, I began dating a vegetarian, which made me interested in doing it too since we would often eat meals together. I started cutting out meat, such as pork and beef. I would only eat chicken. Then, I stopped buying meat and poultry altogether, and I would only eat salmon at home. If my mom prepared a meal with meat in it, I would still eat it or else it would go to waste, which to me is much worse than eating meat.

Eat Your Heart Out: From Your Lips to Your Hips

Well, that vegetarian and I broke up, and I continued eating pretty healthy. Then, I started experiencing a roller coaster of emotions, and I began to engage in emotional eating. I would think, "Wow, I deserve this delicious brie! And, oh yeah, that ice cream, too!" After a while, I could tell I was gaining a bit of weight and not feeling well. I am hypersensitive to weight gain because of the amount of weight I gained my freshman year of college. I am currently a senior (almost done!).

The Turning Point

Monday, May 1st: I ate so much food that I felt like my stomach was going to burst. I don't even know how I made it to the gym the next day; my stomach was still hurting. I ate so many treats, such as a chocolate croissant, latte, hummus, chips, etc. I realized that I did not have self discipline, and I wasn't going to lose any weight. I'm at a healthy weight, but I still have some fat on my thighs. I knew something had to change.

My Current Journey

I talked to my dear friend who leads a vegan life style, and I asked her for advice. She told me what she eats, how she exercises, and how she resists cravings. I decided then and there that from Monday to Friday, I will eat a vegan diet, and on the weekend, I will eat whatever I want when I go out with friends. At home, I will only have food that follows the vegan diet.
It's been a few days, and honestly, I feel so much more energized and fulfilled. I feel light and clear-minded. I eat as many veggies and fruits as I want until I feel full, and I still don't go over the recommended calorie amount; but, I do eat enough calories! I started exercising more, and I even started to run at the gym.
When I went out on the weekend, I did my best to choose vegan-friendly meal options, and I felt good about it. My mom bought us popcorn with butter at the movie theaters, and I didn't feel guilty because I wasn't the one who bought it, and I wasn't going to make my mom feel bad for forgetting that I'm trying to eat vegan (at first I did, then I said thank you for buying the popcorn because it was so thoughtful of her). On Saturday night, I chose albacore tuna and vegan sides since I did not see tofu on the menu. I am really happy with this gradual transition because I am excited about the health improvements that will continue to be revealed to me day after day. I already have a flatter stomach and more energy throughout the day. My cravings for food are tamed, and I am more mindful of my eating.

Let's see how this goes! Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment